Near-Peer Ambassador Program
The Richmond Promise Near-Peer Ambassador Program is a classroom-based strategy at Kennedy High School to (1) build college knowledge and address barriers to college access from an early age, and (2) cultivate a college-going and community-giving pipeline of young local leadership. Developed in partnership with Students Rising Above, with generous support from the Environment Community Investment Agreement and Flora Family Foundation, the core elements of the Richmond Promise Near-Peer Ambassador Program include:
- Curriculum Development: Developed in partnership with SRA, Ambassadors will be trained and receive a custom curriculum set of lesson plans to guide college and career conversations.
- Ambassador Recruitment & Training: Richmond Promise/WCCUSD current college students are trained to facilitate college conversations effectively and appropriately with 9th graders.
- Classroom-based College Conversations: Richmond/WCCUSD college students engage 9th graders in college conversations to build college knowledge and college confidence.
- Students Rising Above HUB: All Ambassadors and students will receive training and access to use the SRA online HUB of college-access resources.
- College Information Workshops: Students Rising Above will facilitate formal financial aid and college information workshops.
- College Fair for Middle School Students: Kennedy 9th graders will host DeJean Middle School 8th graders for a college fair and school tour.
Our 2017 Near-Peer Ambassadors
Contra Costa College Student & Pinole Valley High School Alumni
San Francisco State University Student, Richmond Promise Scholar, Richmond High School Alumni
UC Berkeley Student, Richmond Promise Scholar, El Cerrito High School Alumni
Contra Costa College Student, Richmond Promise Scholar, El Cerrito High School Alumni
Contra Costa College Student, De Anza High School Alumni